Monday, May 27, 2013

Dreams & Memories of My Grandparent's House

     The other night I had a dream about being at my grandparent's house. I often go back to that house in my dreams to "visit" Grammy and Grandpop.  While there, I relive the past, work through current challenges and often have crazy and mixed up dreams that I am sure have meaning.  Things are almost always good when I am there, just like when I was young.
     I don't know if you had the same experiences at your grandparent's house as I did at my grandparent's house; however, those were some of the best days of my life.  Those were the days of all the aunts and uncles getting along (most of the time).  Those were the days of all of the cousins frequently meeting there on weekends and special occassions.  We shared so may memories, good and not so good.
     I remember all os us, girls and boys, hanging out together during the numerous BBQs, Sunday dinners and holidays.  I rememeber all of the laughter and tears.  I rememeber our time playing games on the half acre property in N.J. - Fliers and Grounders, Flashlight tag (when my uncle couldn't climb out of the tree), exploring the woods, skateboarding on Pierson's hill, swimming in Sweder's pool, etc.
     At Grammy & Grandpop's house we celebrated life and ate a lot of food- the weddings of Aunts and Uncles (I especially remember Aunt Dee's), birthdays, and especially holidays.  We often had a great time traveling in a pack for Halloween Trick or Treating.  The funniest of those time is when Aunt Mary burnt a cork and put it all over her face to dress up like a native and not then being able to wash it off later!  Those were the days of knowing your neighbors, getting full sized Hershey bars, exploring neighbors' haunted houses, incessant laughter and family bonding. 
     Christmas was always the most fun!  We would all have presents to open and I would often play Barbies with my cousin Lisa by the living room love seat.  At night, there was a white Christmas star in the large front window that was always plugged in at sunset.  We swore that you could see it everywhere!  One of my strongest memories at Christmas is as we drove down the driveway on our way home, seeing that Christmas star illuminating the window and Grammy and Grandpop, smiling and waving as we drove away.
     I remember meeting my first love there.  My cousin Lowell was living there at the time and his friend Scott was over.  He was wearing my Uncle Glenn's Billy Jack hat and sitting near the cherry tree.  It was a great time for us to be together as we both needed each other during that time in our lives.  I am grateful for his friendship still today. (Young Turks- LOL!)
     Our family mourned our relatives together at that house.  I can still picture Grandpop sitting at the kitchen table sitting in his chair turned backwards so he could lean on the back of the chair and face the table while using is breathing machine.  I actually can't remember him without it.  When Grandpop became sick and passed away was probably the hardest time for all of us at the house.
     We all still met there for many years after.  It didn't matter how old we were at that house; when we were there, we were still the kids and the grown ups were always the grown ups.  We met, we laughed, we cried and we ate!
     When my Grammy had to sell the house, it was like a piece of me was missing.  So much of my life was spent there and so many good memories occurred there.  I can still picture Grandpop's garden, our Easter egg hunts, watching Lawrence Welk (and rolling our eyes!), brushing Aunt Dee's long hair, Uncle Glenn playing his records (Jerimiah was a bull frog), Uncle Lowell laughing and happy, Aunt Mary's voice filling the kitchen, my mom playing the peace keeper between her siblings and loving every minute of it! (and cooking- LOL!)
     As I sit here, I am flooded with great feelings, warm memories and a big smile across my face.  How I wish my kids could have experienced this same thing with their cousins. How I feel sorry that they haven't and never will.  How thankful I am for the blessing of those time and of my family!  I will continue to remember and dream of those wonderful days and will hold it all close to my heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment