Friday, August 9, 2013

Surrounded by Unimportant Stuff

   As I sit here and look around my house, I see a collection of things that represent the many years of my life.  It's funny how important these things were during each stage of my life- childhood, college, marriage, children, etc.  But now at the age of 45, I sit here and realize how unimportant these things really are. 
   Yes, I still look at them and remember the treasured times that they represent, but do I need to hold onto them?  Do I need to have "things" to remind me of the good times?  The answer is no.  I carry those fond memories with me all of the time and do not need an object to help me remember.
   Not only items from the past, but also the items from the present clog and clutter the walls, corners, cabinets, drawers and closets.  Are these all things that we need? Not all are necessities.  Many things that we have are things that we want, the kids want, the grandparents unnecessarily buy, etc.  Why?  Do they make us happy?  Can anyone say that the things they have make and keep them happy?  No, things do not make you happy.
   Believe me, I am not saying that I do not want to buy anything else.  I love technology, computers, and many of the latest gadgets.  And yes, the excitement of buying something new is part of the fun.  But how long is the excitement there until the next "latest and greatest" version comes out or I have buyers remorse for spending the money.  What could I have used it on that would be of better use?  I am sure that there is a long list.
   I know that I am not old by any means.  I am not wealthy, nor am I poor.  I have my needs met and I certainly am not going without the basic necessities; however, I look at everything and think of how much room each thing occupies in our house, garage and thoughts.  How much easier it would be to keep up with the housework if there was less.  How much simpler our lives would be if we did not fixate on holding on to or buying the things that sit in boxes and we never use.  How much money would we have to travel?  How much money would we have to help others?  How much money would we have to show and teach our children how to pay it forward?  These experiences will ultimately make us much more happy and help us to change the lives of others beyond our limited circles.
   As I look at where I am in my life, I realize that I want and need less.  I find that my spirit yearns to help others more.  I so want to make a difference and to leave a legacy of love, appreciation and service to others, instead of just leaving stuff!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment